Technical Lead Manager (May 2018 - Present)
Manage and lead part of Kubernetes product engineering team
Manage and lead a team of engineers to plan, prioritize and deliver open source products.
Define, track and continue improving release, build and team metrics
Work with the interview process and help scale the engineering team
Facilitate improvements in the software engineering workflow to manage velocity
Work with Product to build short and long term roadmap
Technical Lead - Software Development (Kubernetes and Networking) (March 2016 - Present)
Lead networking efforts across Platform9 SaaS products: Managed Kubernetes & Managed Openstack (Neutron)
Architect and design features for Platform9 Managed Kubernetes product - multi-tenancy, highly available K8s on-premise solution, k8s networking.
Deep dive into container & Kubernetes networking, CNI and various network plugins (Calico, Flannel, Weave, Contrail)
Evangelize container networking and Kubernetes both internally & externally (conferences)
Software Engineer (October 2014 - February 2016)
Joined as an early engineer contributing to the Platform9 Managed Openstack (PMO) project.
Architected Neutron networking for PMO deployment and worked on nova network discovery in brownfield environments.
Worked on nested virtualization using Openstack solving complex issues with linux bridge networking.
Productize Cinder block storage for PMO
• Developed features for the Cloud Services Platform (CSP- Nexus1110 series) and contributed to two releases Freewinds.1 & Galaxy.
• Increased VM deployment efficiency by 4 fold by tweaking socket programming code in C
• Developed a standalone linux kernel module for L2 protocol - CDP (Cisco Discovery Protocol) packet processing. Currently in the process of upstreaming the code.
• Gained knowledge of qemu-kvm, KVM on RHEL, VM life cycle management & networking, Linux Networking & Kernel networking stack programming. Hands on experience on C, Python and C++
• Designed and developed a multi-tenant web-portal using Django framework (Python) to pull tenant specific device information of controllers and access points from the airwave management platform.
• Developed perl script to interface with RallyDev(Agile software development solution) to provide iteration breakdown and perform work analysis and defect risk analysis.
• Worked on creating a presence sensor using PIR and Arduino interfaced with ethernet card to communicate and control remotely.
• Fixed defects relating to performance improvement due to usage of match variables in perl scripts related to the AMP (Airwave Management Platform - Wireless network management and monitoring)
• I acquired Python, Djanjo, mysql basics, RallyDev, Agile software development skills
• Implemented PERCIST algorithm which produces and marks possible tumor regions for radiologists scrutiny given a volumetric MRI scan of a patient.
• Productization of code for MRI machines. The project involves aligning the patient with the MRI machine by running a pilot scan and then by image analysis, aligning the MRI scanner to capture a high definition image of the required body part automatically.
• Implemented a thread pool to increase performance of the product by a factor of 5.
• Ported code from Python to C++
• Skills learnt: C++, Python, Threadpools and algorithms.
• My role included development of the Microsoft SAPI (Speech API) Wrapper which facilitates the Text-to-Speech Engine to work with any SAPI compliant application and also provide techniques to improve the performance. The Text-to-Speech Engine deals with speech synthesis for Tamil and Kannada.
The project implementation aims at applications for:
• Providing an assistive technology for the visually impaired and the blind
• Providing a secondary accessibility option.
Achievements during the tenure
• Successfully implemented some functions such as Play, Pause and Stop using SAPI interface.
• Successfully increased the performance of the Text-to-Speech Engine.
• Set up and configured the MILE lab servers. Contributed in setting up Web server, Mail server, Bugzilla and sub versioning services.
(c) 2013-21 Author: Arun Sriraman